This mod adjusts the names of various items for logic, consistency, convenience, sorting, personal preference, and to distingush them from other items. Plugin and MWSE-lua versions are included.
Unlike Rational Names, this mod does not engage in any UI trickery in order to display names longer than 31 characters or for other reasons. It's a much simpler mod that just changes the names of specific items and that's it.
Items covered by Consistent Keys, Potion Renamer, Soulgem Renamer, and Propylon Index Renamer are not included in this mod. This mod is intended to complement those others.
Note: Do not clean the plugin. It contains a few records that are intentionally identical to ones in Morrowind.esm (reverting name changes in Patch for Purists).
Below is a brief, general description of some of the changes this mod makes to item names. The archive contains a spreadsheet detailing all of the mod's name changes.
1. Most unique items now have unique names, to help distinguish them from other items. For example, the unique Steel Longbow used in the Carnius-side Raven Rock quests is now "Carnius' Bow".
2. Certain groups of book items that were all named identically now have different names, to distinguish them from each other. An example is the various Morag Tong writs of execution, whose names now include their targets.
3. Dwarven weapons have been changed to Dwemer, for correctness and for consistency with Dwemer armor.
4. Ice Armor has been changed to Stalhrim, for correctness/personal preference.
5. The unenchanted Her Hand's armor items worn by High Ordinators in Mournhold have been changed to High Indoril. The enchanted versions, worn by Almalexia's elite guard (the only people who can rightly be called Hands), are still called Her Hand's.
6. Names of certain collections of items have been made more consistent, where Bethesda was all over the place in an attempt to make names fit within the 31-character limit. Examples include the Armun-An/Chuzei/Gah-Julan armor items, and the Horny Fist gauntlets/bracers.
7. The 2920 and 36 Lessons of Vivec book series have been tweaked so the books in each series will sort in the correct order in the inventory. Same with the various "barrier" scrolls.
8. The few scrolls that didn't start with "Scroll of" now do, so they'll all sort together in the inventory.
9. Capitalization of item names is changed where it was incorrect or bothered me. Example: A scrawled note -> A Scrawled Note
10. Battle Axe -> Battleaxe
Tower Shield -> Towershield
Long Bow -> Longbow
Short Bow -> Shortbow
Patch for Purists fixes to the affected items have been incorporated into the plugin version (in a few cases PFP name changes have been intentionally reverted).
The MWSE version of the mod can easily be configured by opening data.lua in a text editor and modifying/removing/adding entries as desired.
The plugin version requires Tribunal and Bloodmoon.
The MWSE version requires MGE XE and the latest version of MWSE 2.1. Just install MGE XE and run MWSE-Update.exe to download the latest build.
The plugin version will conflict with any other mod that affects the same items, except Patch for Purists, because its fixes have been incorporated. tes3merge can be used to fix such conflicts.
The MWSE version should be compatible with pretty much everything. Don't use it with Rational Names.
Feel free to contact me on the Nexus with any comments or suggestions. You can also find me on Discord as Necrolesian#9692.